This is a HUGE weekend in college football. Conference championships, BCS Championships, Heisman front runners…..so much is riding on the games this week! Here is the quick hit list of what you MUST know before the games begin!
1. This is Rivalry Weekend where nearly every game is an in-state or border state match-up with lots more than just the game on the line. This means bragging rights for the next 12 months.
2. The fun begins on Thanksgiving night with Texas Tech vs Texas and Ole Miss vs Mississippi State.
3. There are games all day long on Friday beginning at noon.
4. All of the experts have moved Johnny Manziel and Bryce Petty down (if not out) of the Heisman race and have moved AJ McCarron up. They have put Andre Williams from Boston College in the hunt and are skeptical about Jameis Winston due to his off the field troubles. There’s no telling what this weekend will bring!
5. Duke has made the top 25. What-what-WHAT?? They are clearly proving they are not just a basketball school.
6. The Alabama/Auburn game is called the Iron Bowl. This is the best matchup between these two teams…EVER! #1 plays #4. The winner will play for the SEC Championship and possibly the BCS National Championship.
7. Northern Illinois and Fresno State are each hoping to land in the top 16 in order to secure an ‘at-large’ bid to a BCS bowl game. Only one of them can make it so this weekend’s games are critical for them to have a very strong showing.
8. If Florida State or Alabama loses this weekend, Ohio State will be sitting pretty to make it to the BCS National Championship game despite their less than stellar strength of schedule.
9. At least 5 top 25 teams will lose this weekend which will provide for a LOT of movement in the rankings going into conference championships where a whole lot more top 25 teams will lose.
10. Terry Saban was quoted in an article for the Wall Street Journal saying, “We’re staying!” So, enough of the rumors of Saint Nick moving to Texas!